Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Southern California's Tuba Revolution! - L.A. Times 11/15/2011

above: Jesse Tucker, Tubist in Los Hermanos Carrillo con Chikilin y su Tuba
 
This story was sent to me today by Sam Quinones of the LA Times. I LOVE this story. Mexican Bandas have a rich tradition and use Tubas all the time. This is a result of Germans settling in Texas and Mexico and taking Tubas with them. No matter how the Tubas got there, the result is great. The Mexican Bandas music is fun and energetic.  
 
This article shines a light on a musical area that not many classically trained Tuba players think about. Some of these Banda Tuba players make a good living in southern California. It is also nice to see the Tuba growing in popularity. If you ever have the opportunity to see a good Mexican Banda group, do it. I don't think you will regret it. 
 
Please read this article from the Los Angeles Times. There is a nice video on the first page featuring Jesse Tucker (pictured above).
 
 
Thanks to Sam Quinones for sending me this article! 

3 comments:

  1. didn't you spot my link-back to your blog in the comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didn't, but thank you very much! I tend not to read many comments on news/video sites because some of them can nasty VERY quickly. I do read all of the comments on my site though.

    Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I really enjoyed contributing to the article and making the video documentary. Anyone who would like to friend me on Facebook type in Jesse Tucker. My profile photo shows me holding a tuba. Thanks again!:)

    ReplyDelete