Saturday, July 30, 2011

History: Conn "The Big Round Sound" Dec. 1959 Popular Mechanics




above: left- Conn's First Sousaphone (according to the article) right-Snorklephone

Conn was once one of the greatest innovators in the band instrument world. This article is from the December 1959 issue of Popular Mechanics.  Thanks to Michael Riepe for getting me this article. This is a fascinating look at what Conn was doing in the late 1950's. Click on the images to get a closer look and to read the article.







And just for giggles, a Conn stockroom requisition and parts bag from 1974...

2 comments:

  1. That's the same sousaphone in the Greenleaf Collection - it's not the original Conn sousaphone, but a late 1910s early 1920s model. Of course the original sousaphone was made by JW Pepper on request from Sousa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian -

    You are correct. I made a typo. I wrote "Original Sousaphone" when I meant "Conn's First Sousaphone." Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have changed the caption of the picture to reflect this.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete