Friday, July 22, 2011

Dabbling Elsewhere: Arranging Music


above: Pavel Chesnokov

In college I took a few classes on orchestration and arranging. It was a really great experience not only for the knowledge that I gained but also because we analyzed one of my favorite pieces, Ravel's orchestration of Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

The final project for the advanced class was to orchestrate another piece of music. I chose one of my favorite choral pieces; Salvation is Created by Pavel Chesnokov. 

The video below is the U.S. Army Chorus rehearsing Salvation is Created:

Below is a link to my arrangement being READ by the Kansas State University Orchestra. This recording was a sight reading by the KSU Orchestra and is the first time they are seeing it. 


The music is a bit repetitive, so I tried to focus on dynamics and clustering the instruments into interesting colors. Let me know what you think!

FUN FACT - Salvation is Created is in the public domain in the US. 

LINKS:

No comments:

Post a Comment