Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tuba Pics: Before - King 4 valve

above: King 4 valve Tuba - buggered up 4th valve casing

This horn is a King 4 valve Tuba. I don't know the model number at the moment. It is either 1241 or 2341. It looks like it was literally dragged behind a truck. Don't believe me? Look at this mouth pipe and 4th piston:


 That piston was received with that damage. Yikes right? The bottom is crushed in, but not impossible to fix. The tricky part is that Kings of this era had sloppy seams on the inside of the bottom bow. This makes it tricky to do dent work with balls in that area. But I already have the bow off, so I should be able to knock it out rather easily. 





The valve section is pretty clean. Just need some pistons and one slide. Not to hard to build the slide and the pistons aren't expensive for Kings. 

  So what now? This horn will either be repaired or sold as-is. I will have an answer at the beginning of next week. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment