Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sousa Video: The Roots: Lovely Love My Family



I was watching the Nick Jr. show Yo Gabba Gabba with my young daughter a few weeks ago and my attention was peaked when I saw something wildly unusual in pop music: Sousaphone.

Yo Gabba Gabba show regularly features popular musicians performing kids songs. In the episode titled "Family" the musical guest is The Roots. They perform a song titled "Lovely Love My Family."

The great and unusual thing about this tune? Sousaphone solo. It is rare for any contemporary popular music to have Sousaphone or Tuba.

The player is Tuba Gooding Jr. His real name is Damon Bryson. He tours regularly with The Roots, and they are the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where you can see Damon play just about every night.

For those curious, Damon plays a Conn 20K

No comments:

Post a Comment